Lake Superior Lighthouses
Au Sable Point
is in the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Park, it is accessible with a
guided park tour after a 1 1/2 mile walk along the shoreline or adjacent
trail, during the walk you will come across the shipwreck remains of old
wooden schooners which have been washed up onto the beach, the tower and
dwelling were both built in 1874.
Big Bay Lighthouse sits high on a
bluff overlooking Big Bay and Lake Superior north of Marquette Michigan.
Built in 1896 it was automated in 1961, and sold in 1961. It now serves as a
bed and breakfast. It also is rumored to be one of the haunted lighthouses
on the Great Lakes.
Copper Harbor Lighthouse is on State land and open
to the public, but is only accessible by the State-Chartered ferry from
Copper Harbor. Built in 1866 this lighthouse replaced the original tower
which was built in 1849 and was one of the first two lighthouse on Lake
Superior, the other being at Whitefish Point.
Crisp Point Lighthouse
is located on a very remote section of Lake Superior west of Whitefish
Point, this section of the lake is commonly called the "Graveyard of the
Great Lakes" Very little is left but the tower and the remains of the dock
that once stretched out into the lake.
Duluth North Breakwater Lighthouse
was built in 1910 to help guide ships into the Duluth harbor, prior to 1910
ship captains had only the South Breakwater light to rely on and many
mishaps occurred. Building the light on the north pier helped remedy this
problem. The light stands 43 feet above the surface of Lake Superior.
Duluth South Inner Breakwater Lighthouse
was built in 1901 to serve as an inner range light with the South Outer
Duluth South Outer Breakwater
was built in 1901 to replace an earlier light constructed on a
shortened pier in 1873. The light works in conjunction with the South Pier
inner light to act as a range light.
Grand Island East Channel Lighthouse is located on
the south side of Grand Island near Munising and is on private property,
built in 1868 it has had some recent work done to stabilize the structure
but needs much more work.
(Photos courtesy of the
Huron Island Lighthouse Preservation Association)
Huron Island Lighthouse constructed in 1868, still
stands today atop Huron Island, the second largest island of the Huron
Islands chain in southern Lake Superior. The lighthouse was built to guide
vessel traffic between Marquette and Pequaming, and between the
L'Anse/Baraga and Houghton/Hancock ports via the Portage entry in the state
of Michigan. The lighthouse is approximately three miles north of Huron
Point and the Huron Mountains, some twenty miles east of the Keweenaw
Peninsula. Graced by regional history and natural beauty, the Huron Island
Lighthouse has long been considered a local historic treasure. The light is
still an active aid to navigation. While the light is housed in the
lighthouse tower, it has been automated since 1972. The Huron Island
Lighthouse Preservation Association (HILPA) is a non-profit organization
dedicated to preserving the historical and architectural features of the
lighthouse and adjacent properties for future generations. HILPA was
organized by local residents in January of 1999 in response to growing
concern over the condition of the lighthouse and its adjacent buildings.
Marquette Harbor Lighthouse was
originally built in 1853, and reconstructed in 1866. The current
configuration includes reconstruction of the keepers house in 1906.
Point Iroquois Lighthouse north
of Brimley Michigan was built in 1857 and completely remodeled in 1870, it
stands 65 feet high and is open to the public.
Presque Isle Harbor Breakwater Lighthouse
sits at the end of the breakwater at Marquette Michigan. Built in 1941 it
produces a beam 56 feet above the surface of Lake Superior.
Split Rock Lighthouse located on
the Lake Superior shoreline of Minnesota was built high on a rocky cliff 124
feet above the lake, completed in 1910 it has a beacon range of 22 miles.
Decommissioned in 1969 it is now operated by the Minnesota Historical
Superior Entry South
Lighthouse is located at the tip of Wisconsin Point, Superior Wisconsin.
Built in 1913 it still serves as a navigational aid to ships entering the
Two Harbors Lighthouse in Two
Harbors Minnesota, is an operational lighthouse that also serves as a bed
and breakfast. Built in 1892 when Two Harbors was known as Agate Bay. the
tower stands 49.5 feet tall.
Two Harbors Breakwater Lighthouse
located in Two Harbors Minnesota, sits at the end of the breakwall in the
harbor, it is an excellent location to view ships up close entering or
exiting the harbor.
Whitefish Point Lighthouse
is located at the tip of Whitefish Point in Lake Superior, the current tower
was built in 1861 and replaced the original tower which was built in 1849.
The Whitefish Point Shipwreck Museum is located on the grounds behind the